Citizenship By Conferral
For applicants who are permanent residents of Australia, and have lawfully resided in Australia for at least four years.
Each applicant for citizenship by conferral must:
- be a permanent resident of Australia (and have been a permanent resident for at least the last 12 months)
Note: If you are not a permanent resident of Australia but you are a NZ citizen, you may be eligible if you were in Australia on 26 February 2001 as the holder of a Special Category Visa (SCV) OR if you spent a total of at least 12 months in Australia on a SCV during the 24 months immediately prior to 26 February 2001.
- have lawfully resided in Australia for at least the last 4 years
- not have been outside Australia for more than a total of 1 year in the last 4 years (and no more than 90 days during the last 12 months)
- be likely to reside in, or maintain a close and continuing connection with, Australia
- if aged 18 years or older, be of good character