Humanitarian 2018-10-03T08:36:50+00:00

Protection Visa (Subclass 866)

You might be able to get a Protection visa (subclass 866) if all of the following apply:

  • you arrived in Australia legally
  • you engage Australia’s protection obligations
  • you meet the health, character and security requirements
  • you meet one of the following criteria:
    • you are a refugee as defined by the Migration Act 1958
    • you meet the complementary protection criteria in the Migration Act 1958.
  • you are not barred from lodging a Protection visa application
  • the minister is satisfied that the grant of the visa is in the national interest.

Temporary Protection Visa (Subclass 785) / Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (Subclass 790)

If you currently hold a Temporary Protection Visa (Subclass 785) or a Safe Haven Visa (Subclass 790) you must apply for a subsequent Temporary Protection Visa or Safe Haven Enterprise Visa before your current visa ceases. If you do not apply before your current visa ceases, you will become unlawful and will be barred from applying for a subsequent visa.

Ministerial Intervention

The Minister has powers under the Migration Act 1958 to intervene in your case when the Minister thinks it is in the public interest to do so.

Refugee Visa (Subclass 200, 201, 203 and 204)

​There are four visa subclasses included in the Refugee category of the Humanitarian Program. They are:

  • Refugee (subclass 200)
  • In-Country Special Humanitarian (subclass 201)
  • Emergency Rescue (subclass 203)
  • Woman at Risk (subclass 204)

You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are outside Australia
  • are subject to persecution in your home country.

All Refugee category visas (Subclasses 200, 201, 203 and 204) are permanent visas.

Global Special Humanitarian Visa (Subclass 202)

The Global Special Humanitarian visa (subclass 202) is for you if you are outside Australia, are living outside your hom​​e country, are subject to substantial discrimination amounting to a gross violation of your human rights in your home country, and are proposed by a person or organisation in Australia.

This is a permanent visa.